Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 06:44:14 -0700
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU based cracking, AMD or NVIDIA

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM,  <hm0@....net> wrote:
> I'm thinking of trying john (and maybe some other progs) on GPU. I wonder if better go for gtx 660 or AMD 7870 (well I dont want to spend $300-400+ for a card...).
>
> I tried to find out if amd or nvidia is in general better (faster / maybe openCL vs CUDA?) and/or better supported (maybe again opencl vs cuda?) for gpu based cracking (eg hash, aes, wpa ...).
> I only found some rather old benchmarks.

For non-graphical computing (e.g. password cracking or BTC mining), it
is my experience that ATI/AMD cards are significantly faster.

> btw: does gpu based cracking benefit from more RAM on the gfx card?

I'm sure it does to a point, but it doesn't appear to be as important
as the speed of the card itself.  Those writing the algorithms running
on the cards will be able to answer more assertively.