Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 00:29:24 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password Crack

On 23 Nov, 2012, at 21:15 , Robert B. Harris <rs904c@...scape.net> wrote:
> Your Crack.txt file should look exactly like the following line below (with the extra : in it)
>
> user:5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592:::::
>

> It appears in your example below, that you took out the extra ":" in it.

I'm afraid you are wrong this time, appended colons does not matter at all so his input file is OK. Actually it would also be perfectly OK with just the bare hash and no user field:

5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592

Stripping the user field is a very bad idea as Single mode makes good use of it, but if you do not have one there is no need to fake it.

BTW there is a tag you could use in the input file if you know the hash is raw MD5:

user:$dynamic_0$5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592

This tag is optional but if you have it you don't need to specify --format=raw-md5.

magnum