Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:45:26 +0530
From: Anuj Sharma <anuj576@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Password Crack

Hi,

I am beginner in penetration testing and currently practicing on DWVA. Now,
the passwords stored in this application's db are MD5 hashed.

I am trying to use JTR to crack the passwords, however when I execute the
following command, it runs almost forever.

john mypassword.txt

The file "mypassword.txt" contains the has value
'5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592' (without the quotes). The plaintext of
this is 'hello'.

Why is JTR taking such a long time to crack this password? Am I doing
something wrong?

Thanks,
Anuj Sharma