Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 04:09:55 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How does incremental mode works?

On 11/17/2012 05:23 PM, Simon Marechal wrote:
> On 11/16/2012 10:16 PM, Richard Miles wrote:
>> 1) Is there a command-line parameter to replace the default path of
>> $JOHN/markov.stats?
>
> I have not been following what's in jumbo for a while but I suppose
> there is a way in the config file.

Yes, there is.

Reading the "BASIC USAGE" and "CONFIGURATION OPTIONS" chapters in the
doc/MARKOV file should help.
If not, please clarify what is missing.

>> 3) What is the proper kind of wordlist that I should use to generate a
>> stats file? A default one such as passwords.lst? Rockyou leak? PHPbb leak?
>> All of them together?
>
> The proper wordlist is the one that looks like the passwords you want to
> attack. If this is a public leak, rockyou is your best choice. If this
> is something else, you will have to find something else ;)

In most cases, you don't know how the passwords you want to crack will
look like.
In this case, the rockyou list probably is a safe bet.
Please note that it might not be if password policy enforces passwords
which are way more complicated than the average rockyou password.

Frank