Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 07:47:37 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How does incremental mode works?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 01:20:28PM -0600, Richard Miles wrote:
> I see that default incremental option is not a sequential brute force. Can
> someone please give me details about how it works and how password
> candidates are generated and selected?

Rich Rumble has already commented on this.  Thanks, Rich!

> Also, I see that OCL hashcat has a similar feature which also give us good
> results. Is there any kind of comparison between the two modes used? Which
> one is more effective? Or downside and upsides for jTr and OCL hashcat?

I am not aware of a head-to-head comparison between these.  That said,
Simon Marechal (aka Bartavelle) will speak on a related topic -
comparing several revisions of JtR's incremental and Markov modes
(current and future) - at Passwords^12 in Oslo in just 3 weeks from now.
Indeed, we'll post the slides online afterwards.

Simon is also going to cover the topic of optimization of wordlist
rulesets, which you mentioned a need for further in this thread.

Alexander