Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:21:52 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Noob: trying to recover own gpg/pgp passphrase with
 limited set of characters

On 11/09/2012 04:38 AM, sngh wrote:
> I kinda think I remember my pass-phrase being like either a
> combination of a few words and year numbers and a single exclamation

You can try using http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=statsprocessor to
generate a custom dictionary.

> my real pass-phrase (converted hash to john format) is in a file secinfo.txt
> secinfo.txt:
> secring.gpg:$gpg$*17*42*1024*.............

JtR supports cracking DSA keys. I just confirmed it.

> Loaded 1 password hash (OpenPGP / GnuPG Secret Key [32/64])
> Warning: only 44 characters available

This warning is a bit strange. I don't know what it means and how does
it impact cracking.

> Also, currently I am running this on a cpu (multi-core though), but
> its only outputting like 8 to 9k checks a second or so on a single
> john instance. Maybe I could have access to a gpu gfx card or even a
> few to speed things up.

You can enable OpenMP by un-commenting "#OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp" in
Makefile and then re-compiling JtR. John will then use all the cores.

JtR achieves a speedup of 97X when running on ATI 7970 as compared to a
single core 2.8GHz CPU for gpg format.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru