Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 10:36:23 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Two questions (or feature suggestion) about JTR usage.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Richard Miles
<richard.k.miles@...glemail.com> wrote:
> b) I would like to execute my incremental tests always during 8 hours,
> nothing more and nothing less. There is a workaround to do it? As described
> above, should be nice to have a option to define for how long JTR will be
> running, example:
I believe you can use cron or even a script that uses "at" and "sleep"
then kill.

john --i --format=netntlm passes.txt
sleep 8h
kill $! 2>/dev/null && echo "JtR Killed"
Something like that I believe, as far as I can tell there is no way to
do it using JtR itself. Also this will start over each time, you
should use a session or restore the default on (john.rec) if you want
to keep cracking and not start over each time.

john --i --format=netntlm passes.txt --session=ntlm-session
sleep 8h
kill $! 2>/dev/null && echo "JtR Killed"
sleep 16h
john --restore=ntlm-session

That, if the script is allowed to run uninterrupted, will sleep for 16
hours and begin where it left off. But if that script starts over,
it's going to wipe out the progress for that session, might be good to
do some if exist's ntlm-session.rec then --restore...
-rich