Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:45:15 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Passphrase Creation

> I've found the FreeCDDB very useful in cracking.

Cool! I didn't even know about that site until you mentioned it.

> I'm not at all happy with the parsing I've done on the cddb

Scraping web content is pretty much a universal problem from everyone
I've talked to, (though I'll admit my code tends to achieve a certain
level of bugginess above and beyond the norm ;). I have to imagine
there's been a lot of work/research/tools developed to do this for
other problems besides password cracking though. It might be useful
for one of us to look into existing solutions rather than re-invent
the wheel of developing our own scrapers.

> I talked about metrics for passwords a while ago, a possible anonymous
> system to submit data to, perhaps derived from the .log files.
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/04/16/1

I agree with you. I'd recommend going ahead and restarting that thread
though because this can quickly segue away from passphrases ;p

Matt