Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 02:29:34 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Word files?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 12:20:57AM +0200, Paul van Hoven wrote:
> So what I did what feeding john with the hash. The first file (which I
> also provided to you in this email thread) was cracked after about 7
> minutes in my virtual machine. Then I created a new file with the
> password "password23". Now, currently john is already trying to crack
> this file for now about 2 hours and it is still not finished yet.

Try:

./john -w=password.lst --rules=jumbo FILENAMEHERE

to enable more wordlist rules.

By default, JtR won't crack this password, unfortunately.  The "append
two digits" rule (as opposed to appending just one digit) is not
included in the default wordlist mode ruleset, and incremental mode is
limited to lengths up to 8 by default.  Yes, we need to improve the
defaults.

The "jumbo" ruleset includes this rule (and a lot more).

Alexander