Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:22:47 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Arstechnica Password article (feat. Matt Weir)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@...dmark.org> wrote:
> 1Password does, but they aren't "movable" keyfiles. The 1Password AgileKeychain format is a collection of files in a directory structure. The keyfile is encryptionKeys.js (and there are some backups of this content in 1password.keys and .1password.keys).
I don't want to take up much more space here on the john-users list,
but a keyfile in the "truecrypt" sense is a file (or at least the
first 512 bits of it) that is combined with the password to
unlock/decrypt(in memory). I didn't look into 1password further (yet)
but I suspect the 1password KEYS (plural) file is more like how
PKI/SSL works as opposed to password+salt; aka keyfile (singular). I
may be wrong. The "anti-keylogging" feature of a "keyfile" is browsing
to the user defined "salt" (keyfile) as opposed to typing it. I'll
look into these things further with regard to 1password, and I'll keep
my future correspondence about it off this list :)
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=keyfiles-technical-details
-rich