Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:04:13 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Arstechnica Password article (feat. Matt Weir)

> There are some minor inaccuracies.

Hey Solar, I'd be very interested to hear what you felt was wrong. Dan
really impressed me with his dedication to try and get everything
right. A good example of that was his research into the origin of the
term "Rainbow tables" where not only did he read the original Oechslin
papers but he contacted a bunch of people and posted on Twitter as
well. Even with all that research since he wasn't able to find an
authoritative source he wrote: "Rainbow tables are believed to get
their name....".

I guess more to the point, he had several people including me review a
pre-release copy so some of those mistakes may be mine as well ;p

As far as JtR not being mentioned, I think that's more of a PR issue
we have. When people talk about password cracking to the general
public they tend to focus on Rainbow tables, GPUs, and the cloud. We
can debate how much impact all those things have, but the simple fact
is that's what people find interesting. While JtR has GPU support,
Hashcat won the CMIYC competition so they deserve the recognition they
get when it comes to mentioning a GPU cracker. If we can get better
GPU cracking performance than Hashcat people will mention JtR instead
;p

Matt