Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:01:44 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cmiyc 2012 : samu writeup

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Lesson for next year: find out what hardware each team member is going
> to use before we start, have others on the team give recommendations on
> optimal use of that hardware (although such recommendations will need to
> be revised once the actual hash types and weights are known).  We did
> this to some extent this year, but we could do better.
I mentioned this :) Nonetheless, I am willing to work with and test
some CnC bootdisc/image/kickstart if anyone is thinking about this
approach. Even if it's not fully automated command and control or
client/server, perhaps a standard "build" that can at least report in
to a server about what is available from who, all we do is fill in a
"contact" file or something that is scp/ssh/ftp'd to the contest
server. A few scripts could easily send a dmidecode, cat
/proc/cpuinfo/, lsusb/lspci, uname -a (or whatever else applies to
hardware profiling).
Personally I use RH/CentOS/Fedora, but have no issues using
Unbuntu/Mint etc... If it's worth perusing we can start a new thread
along these lines.
-rich