Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:14:32 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: any plans to support superlong passwords?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com> wrote:
> What hashes are you talking about? You can get a lot of unlimited
> length hashes via say the --format=crypt which falls back to OS level
> algorithms which are slow but have unlimited lengths. (I do this for
> md5crypt that are longer than 15 characters and similar items).
I've tried some long ones for NT

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. U
user:025649DF316DAA1842D3CFD2B981158A:::127 characters I think

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
user:8778EA7E51275073B11EC595CB8811C1:::space is after the full stop

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
user:4F9942C46E4DF4D2351611BE416B76F6:::no space after full stop

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
user:43940FFADD888E02FC2A00F2B1617457:::74 characters

The quote for the plain-text above is intention. This is just an
example, it gets tedious to type 20+ character pass phrases so *some*
limits on length isn't all that bad. I think korelogic stated that the
average password length was 21-22 characters? So perhaps the phrases
we were using could of been more effective during the contest? I could
be wrong.
-rich