Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:16:40 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john with Apple Keychains (/Users/Alex/Library/Keychains/login.keychain)

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov
<aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 06:24:23PM +0200, Alex Kornilov wrote:
>> I try to "crack" my OS X login password. Our company purchased an
>> old Openwall wordlists collection (very old!!)
>>
>> $ john --wordlist=/Users/Alex/Downloads/wordlist_john/Wordlists-20031009/all.lst
>> login.keychain.bak
>>
>> Loaded 1 password hash (Tripcode DES [48/64 4K])

Is this a bug? login.keychain.bak shouldn't have been detected as Tripcode DES.

>> guesses: 0  time: 0:00:00:05 100%  c/s: 434352  trying: ???????? - ???
>>
>> finishes after a few seconds :-(
>>
>> $ john -show login.keychain.bak
>> 0 password hashes cracked, 1 left
>>
>> what I am doing wrong?

Which Operating System are you using? You might be able to use
pre-compiled JtR versions depending on your OS.

For cracking OS X Keychains (which you seem to be doing) you need
jumbo version of john. You can get it from
https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo. After doing "git clone",
build john, run keychain2john program on login.keychain.bak file and
then run john on the output of keychain2john.

Another option is to obtain OS X hashes (using lion2john.pl program,
included with john-jumbo) and crack those to figure out the login
password. This option will be way faster than trying to crack the
Keychain.

(Compile keychain2john using command "gcc keychain2john.c")

> I guess you need to specify hash type. Try to add --type=keychain to
> your cmdline.

First run keychain2john on your keychain file and then run john on the
output of keychain2john.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru