Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:12:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Other tools and tool sets.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:47:14PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> IToday's SAN's ISC diary (
> http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=13720 ) brought up a tool I had
> not seen before: pipal ( http://www.digininja.org/projects/pipal.php )
> which I think is similar to the wm tool. The graphs and such are a
> nice visualization for when you need to tell people why passwords are
> easy to guess but what got my attention was the hashcat filters and
> wondering if there was some way to build something similar for JtR or
> if they would be useful there. Solar mentioned I should bring this up
> on this mailing list so I have :).

FWIW, I was referring specifically to the topic of generating rules,
filters or whatever for JtR from a set of known passwords.  This is a
topic for john-users rather than one to be discussed in private, hence I
asked you to post your questions about it in here.  (I hope that someone
will reply for real.  Simon?)

"Other tools and tool sets" may also be mentioned when relevant, but are
less of a topic for john-users in general.

I'm sorry that I did not make this distinction/focus clear, although I
think this has only affected your message Subject rather than content,
so not a big deal.

Thanks,

Alexander