Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:44:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Word files?

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:57:00PM +0200, Paul van Hoven wrote:
> Hi! Thank you for all your answers. The first thing to say is that I
> use Mac OS X Lion. Therefore I was not able to use the Windows
> binaries. Anyway the page posted by Rich contained some oder binaries
> for mac but this archive does not contain the office2john file.

Yes, we don't yet have a released binary build of 1.7.9-jumbo-6 for Mac
OS X.  You should be able to make such a build on your own, after you
install Xcode.  We did test builds of 1.7.9-jumbo-6 for Mac OS X before
we released -jumbo-6; I am not sure if we tested building of office2john
on Mac OS X specifically, though, as this program has extra prerequisite
libraries.

> parallels@...ntu:~/Downloads/magnumripper-magnum-jumbo-47a6d4e/src$
> make office2john
> gcc `xml2-config --cflags` `pkg-config --cflags libgsf-1`
> office2john.c common.o base64.o `pkg-config --libs libgsf-1`
> `xml2-config --libs` -o ../run/office2john
> gcc: common.o: No such file or directory
> gcc: base64.o: No such file or directory
> In file included from office2john.c:69:0:
> common.h:13:18: fatal error: arch.h: No such file or directory

As magnum correctly pointed out, "make office2john" is only supposed to
work after a successful build of John itself in the same tree.  So you
should do something like:

make clean linux-x86-64
make office2john

Replace "linux-x86-64" with e.g. "linux-x86-sse2" if your Linux distro
install is 32-bit.

> Back to my problem: What do I have to do to get office2john running on my mac?

I've provided some options above.  Please give these a try and let us
know.  Given that you already have a Linux install in a VM, it's
probably quicker for you to get office2john built there.

Thanks,

Alexander