Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 01:04:15 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: dynamic formats tutorial

Hi,

Here are a couple of relevant blog posts:

http://blog.thireus.com/crack-passwords-using-john-the-ripper-with-multiple-cpu-cores-openmp
http://blog.thireus.com/john-the-ripped-steak-and-french-fries-with-salt-and-pepper-sauce-for-hungry-password-crackers

Besides showing how to use JtR's OpenMP and MPI support, the second one
of these is also a tutorial for creating a custom dynamic format for JtR
using sha1(md5($salt.$password)."HelloWorld") as the specific example.

Somehow it talks about editing dynamic_preloads.c, though, whereas the
same is normally done from within john.conf (and without a recompile).

Yet I think this is valuable, hence the posting.  In fact, as I said
before, I'd appreciate it if folks announce their JtR-related blog posts
and such in here.

Thanks,

Alexander