Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:52:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brad Tilley" <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RE: JTR against 135 millions MD5 hashes

> Has anyone been working on this password dump (the original 143million
> hashes dump)?

I cracked about 55 million of them just as an experiment. KL said that
they were for preparation/practice for the 2012 Defcon CMIYC contest. I'm
not sure if they'll use some of them or not. Since KL is the source, they
have most likely cracked them all. If they do use them for the contest, I
would suspect that they hash them differently or the GPU teams will have
an advantage. Again, I'm not sure about any of this, it's only my
suspicion and may be far from the truth.

Brad