Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brad Tilley" <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pot file size limit

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 08:08:50AM -0400, Brad Tilley wrote:
>> Is there a limit within John on the size of a pot file? I'm assuming
>> that
>> so long as the file system and OS can handle the file's size, then it's
>> OK. Is that a safe assumption to make?
>
> Yes, large pot files should work fine.  John startup will be slow, though.
>
>> The reason I ask is that normally my pots are small, but I was testing
>> the
>> KL dump from a few months ago and that pot would end up being many
>> gigabytes in size unless it's broken up into multiple, smaller ones.
>
> Please continue with just one large pot file and report in here if you
> run into any problems with that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander

Perhaps it's just me, but the biggest draw-back to using a large pot file
seems to be the load time. Once the pot is greater than 1 gibi, the
slowdown really feels substantial. However, this may just be my perception
of time. In wall clock time, it takes just about 10 seconds to crack
hundreds of thousands of raw-md5 hashes, but about 2.5 minutes for John to
start-up with such a large pot.

Brad