Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:21:19 +0200
From: pierzi <pierzi@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: incremental question

Hello Dear JTR users

I got little question about incremental mode. While running it john puts
entries about expanding tables for desired length to character count to
john.log/session.log
More or less it looks like this:
0:02:48:42 - Expanding tables for length 8 to character count 22
0:02:48:42 - Trying length 8, fixed @3, character count 22
0:03:00:18 - Trying length 8, fixed @6, character count 21
0:03:07:31 - Trying length 8, fixed @7, character count 21
0:03:14:24 - Trying length 8, fixed @2, character count 21
0:03:23:10 - Trying length 8, fixed @5, character count 21
0:03:30:45 - Trying length 8, fixed @8, character count 21
0:03:37:22 - Trying length 8, fixed @4, character count 22
0:03:48:28 - Trying length 8, fixed @1, character count 22
0:04:01:13 - Trying length 8, fixed @6, character count 22
0:04:11:20 - Trying length 8, fixed @7, character count 22
0:04:21:00 - Trying length 8, fixed @5, character count 22
0:04:31:35 - Trying length 8, fixed @8, character count 22

So as far as I understand this means that incremental mode doesn't use
entire character count for desired mode at start (36 for alnum in my case),
it' simply expanding it one by one?
Correct me if I'm wrong about it please.

Now i know that this is method is probably based on some statistics and
it's probably good for non-random generated passwords. But using it with
random-generated passwords like:
9amxpgdr
e9naioai
fn0sceur
j0nkae0n
kuuhr9fw
m0d9npwc
qwrn9ssm
tbpo9gtx
vnnxjnen
xaf0fkpj

john needs expand character count to 36 to crack all of them (or course if
a=1 and 0=36) ...Now wouldn't be faster to start incremental mode with
char. count=36 at start? Is it even possible to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help with this

Best regards
Bartosz