Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 12:38:56 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Can Excessive Rounds make Password cracking Infeasable

On 24 May 2012 12:22, Brad Tilley <brad@...ystems.com> wrote:
>> On 05/24/2012 08:06 PM, Brad Tilley wrote:

>> Frank
>

> Yes, thanks Frank. I understand that and have no disputes or questions
> about that. My question is about the feasibility of cracking such hashes.
>
> Brad

Well feasibility is just a "how long do I figure this is secure." When
I first started doing password audits in 1992, the systems I had were
doing  I think 100 DES-crypt checks a second (it might have been 1000
but I am not sure). Now I can do billions per second with a standard
set of systems and GPU hardware. That takes into account Solar
Designers improved crypt methods and the fact that hardware is
cheaper/faster by large amounts. [The 20 Sun Boxes I used in 1993
would now be 2000+ GPUs at the same cost.] So if it takes 2 second to
encrypt a test now expect that in 20 years it will be at least 2000
times faster. And while you don't think 20 years someone would still
be using it.. I find in my audits that people use the same passwords
they did 20 years ago and a lot of systems are still DES-crypt.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd