Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 09:07:20 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: using all available hardware

On 05/15/2012 07:01 AM, Simon Marechal wrote:
> I am not sure this overhead should be put on the server side. A place to
> rsync could me transmitted to clients and they should start downloading
> in the background. Then there might be a way to encode this information
> in a stateless manner. For example a client could advertise his
> capabilities everytime it asks for work.

You are probably right. To be on the safe side, we should avoid putting
unnecessary work on the server, so that the server can handle a larger
number of clients.

>> The wrapper could also prevent the client from requesting too many tasks
>> in advance. (IMHO, it is OK to download some more tasks than available
>> CPU cores, so that a client can immediately start the next attack when
>> one attack is finished.)
> I did not follow all the discussion, but why is it a good idea to ask
> for tasks in advance ?

May be it isn't. I thought it would be necessary to avoid delays when
the client needs to download a huge wordlist file before starting a task.
But if you distribute those files prior to the pen test / contest, or if
the clients can download them while still working on a cracking task
(and prior to fetching the next task), then this might not be needed.

Frank