Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 08:14:03 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: automation equipped working place of hash cracker, proposal

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Frank Dittrich
<frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 10:52 AM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
>> Alexander suggested to not waste our time on generation .rec files
>
> Yes, I think generating .rec files to distribute cracking tasks to
> different clients is not such a good idea.
> The file format can change any time, even if you get this done you'll
> end up in a maintenance nightmare if you need to support different
> versions of .rec file formats.
John had a "fork" option in the CrackMeIfYouCan contest, derived from
MPI I believe, perhaps the code that was used to create "fork=n" would
be useful to distribute the work. I'm not sure how/if/where the code
is available but it had a few bugs we know of and possibly more we
didn't discover. The pot files were not updating on the children
unless the child threads were killed, however that wasn't the case in
cygwin, killing the children did not update the pot files.
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2012/01/17/9
Fork would not let you restart a session, .rec files were useless and
this was to be expected with this patch. I found this mode very
helpful+powerful during the contest, and despite it's
shortcomings/bugs I still use it.
-rich