Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 14:52:47 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: file name expansion for --wordlist= and file name
 starting with ~

On 6 May 2012 13:59, Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> did anybody else of you notice that for --wordlist=filename, even bash
> auto-completion for file names starting with ~/ or ~user works, but john
> fails to recognize e.g. --wordlist=~/test.txt?

Works for me, which says that the problem is either with your shell or
depends on the version of john you have. Neither of which you say.

$ john --session=DD --wordlist=~/x --pot=xyz.pot --format=raw-md5 y000
Loaded 10 password hashes with no different salts (Raw MD5 [SSE2i 10x4x3])
guesses: 0/80  time: 0:00:00:00 DONE (2012-05-06 14:51)  c/s: 285
trying: redhat - rhel
$ rpm -q bash john
bash-4.1.2-8.el6.x86_64
john-1.7.9-1jumbo5.el6.x86_64

So something in your shell is not expanding the items when it hands it
off to the program.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd