Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 02:51:32 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new name for automation equipped working place of a
 hash cracker

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 01:17:52AM +0400, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 03:23:48PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov
> > <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com> wrote:
> > > I like the idea to have 'the something' suffix but I think it should reflect
> > > tool's intention and should not be aggressive. Also I found myself lazy to
> > > always write 'John the Ripper' so I write just 'john' often. With 'Johnny the
> > > GUI' the story is the same.
> > Awww no C&C Password Factory? :) (C&C Music Factory was a
> > one-hit-wonder from my youth, so I thought command and control
> > password factory was a good pun, and probably only funny to me :)
>
> I didn't know about such band. I thought it stands for game named command &
> conquer... Nevertheless it seems to be a nice choice. 'cnc' seems to be easy
> short name (though common abbreviation for 'command and control' is 'c2').

But it could bring bad glory because command and control is a common name for
servers of botnets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet ).

I think 'the mom' is a nice suffix for the name.

Trying to google different female names similar to John I got back to Joan.

So maybe following pack:
joan
Joan the Mom
Joan the MOM for John the Ripper
where MOM could be read as mathematically optimal manipulator or manual
organized manipulator. Also MOM interferes with Message Oriented Middleware
that is close to project's subject.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov