Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:41:41 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: using all available hardware (was: automation equipped working place
 of hash cracker, proposal)

On 04/13/2012 04:39 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:55:16PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> What kind of problems (deviations from an "optimal" work flow) did you
>> recognize during or after the 2012 CrackMeIfYouCan contest?
>
> After CrackMeIfYouCan 2011 contest several problems of different kinds were
> found. There were uninvolved hardware,

[...]

> With hardware the biggest problem was that a lot of machines was not managed
> about at all. We have much more cpu power than human resources. So the system
> should manage machines while humans manage the system.

Right. This was indeed a big problem. I like your picture of the system
which is managed by humans is managing the machines available.

Probably it is easy to address this problem automatically, as long as
you have access to all the available resources (machines).
It might get a little more complicated if you manage only a part of the
available resources for yourself, other users managing their own machines.
In this case, you could provide information what attacks to try next,
keep control about who is trying which task, reschedule a task if the
results of that task don't get returned to you after a certain time, and
so on.
Much of this could be done automatically.

Frank