Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:11:25 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: automation equipped working place of hash cracker,
 proposal

On 09/04/2012 21:55, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> To get the discussion going, may be you could elaborate a bit:

I will try to actually get it going by adding some notes ;)

> What would an optimal work flow look like?

This is the central question. I don't believe there is such a thing as
an optimal work flow as it will depend on what you want to achieve :
single user with multiple computing resources, several users sharing a
single compute platform, local or remote usage, access control, etc.

Describing a good workflow for the challenge would be perfectly acceptable.

As was hinted by Solar a while ago (probably around the previous
challenge), a very useful addition would be a "remote control" system
for the JtR process. I do not believe it should be a GUI or a ncurses
based interface, but should work through some IPC, possibly a simple
network protocol.

This would require a rewrite of "main", all IO functions, and probably a
bunch of others (such as adding de-init functions in ciphers). This
would be a solid starting block for more advanced usages, but might be
way too much work for a single summer.

Wrappers around JtR could achieve much of the same result with a lower
investment.