Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:05:31 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Simple John Rules Example

On 03/29/2012 05:44 PM, jmk wrote:
> - If I wanted to add "y" in as a vowel, it appears it is not as simple
> as just replacing "?v" with "[aeiouy]". Is that correct?

Jumbo have custom character classes, configurable in john.conf. You
could do it like this:

[UserClasses]
0 = [aeiouy]

...then just use ?0 instead of ?v

BTW, if you give --encoding=iso-8859-1 (or shorter --enc=ansi) the y
will be treated both as vowel and consonant (as it can be either). This
too is Jumbo-only. It will also treat 8-bit vowels like ü, ß and ö as
vowels or consonants. That won't currently work for -enc=utf8 though, as
the rules engine can't handle multibyte characters.

magnum