Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:13:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Exclude words from dictionary

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:19:27PM +0200, morle garcia wrote:
> I have tried to hack my wifi WPA pass with aircrack-ng and a dictionary to see if it was possible.
> It failed.
>
> So now I want to use john with incremental:all option and pass the output to aircrak. However, I would like john to exclude the words that I have already tried and are contained in the dictionary. How could I do that?

Since WPA is so exceptionally slow, this actually makes sense (for most
other hash/cipher types, it would not).  You can try something like:

./john -i --stdout | fgrep -vxf WORDLIST-FILE | ...

I've just briefly tried the above - fgrep spends way more CPU time than
john does, and it takes 1.2 GB RAM for our all.lst (43 MB) - but it works.

With jumbo, you may achieve much better speed with:

./john -i --stdout | ./unique OUTPUT-FILE -ex_file_only=WORDLIST-FILE

but you actually need to have the output written to a file then (which
may be desirable anyway, though).  You may also add -mem=25 for some
speedup if your wordlist is large:

./john -i --stdout | ./unique -mem=25 OUTPUT-FILE -ex_file_only=WORDLIST-FILE

Alexander