Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 12:54:36 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Problem with --subformat=dynamic_1

Works for me.  What version of JtR are you using?  To get dynamic, you have
to have jumbo, and likely 1.7.9-J5, to get it to work with 'raw' hashes,
that do not have the $dynamic$ signature in them.  If you are using jumbo
john, and a file with this line:

admin:d5fedea70cf14c3191fc8e94fe4ca8b9$Y0g7Wx78AdpjIdZd

does not work (and to use the above line, you MUST force john to use it by
using --format=dynamic_1 on the command line)   Then try this one:

admin:$dynamic_1$d5fedea70cf14c3191fc8e94fe4ca8b9$Y0g7Wx78AdpjIdZd

an input file with the format above will not need the --format= command
param.  The format with the $dynamic_1$ is in the 'native' input format
format of the dynamic format.  The other format I showed (where the ':' char
was simply replaced with the proper $ separator char).  In that format, it
is more of a 'raw' format.  There is not the required information there to
tell john to use dynamic_1, so we have to force JtR to do it.

Jim.