Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 01:07:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: rule: >NN , format=cuda-mscash, filters, --make-charset segfault

Lukas,

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 09:11:26PM +0100, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2012/2/29  <buawig@...il.com>:
> >c) I'm running john 1.7.9-jumbo-5 (mpi) + cuda patch [1]
> >but when starting john:
> >mpiexec -np 8 ./john --format=cuda-mscash -w=... --rules hashes.txt
> First of all you should not use mpi with cuda. For now it will not give you
> any speedup.

Actually, it might: in my testing of some of your CUDA code, running two
instances at once (without MPI, though) provided slightly better
combined performance, probably due to inefficiencies/stalls in the code.
So "mpiexec -np 2" might make sense in some special cases.

> There was bug in cuda-1 version I fixed it already, and now I am trying to
> upload it to wiki (I am having problems with ISP), so it will be available
> on wiki ASAP.

I see that this is now uploaded - thanks!  However, interdiff'ing the
patches I don't see what bug you're referring to, and I don't see
anything relevant to loading of MSCash hashes (something that would
cause them to be loaded where they previously were not).

Can you please clarify?

Thanks,

Alexander