Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:11:20 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: -ext:keyboard with 8-bit chars

Solar,

I tried making a custom keyboard external mode for producing German
keyboard output in iso-8859-1. I doubled the array sizes per the comment
and also changed the while loop that initializes mc accordingly. At
first I just entered the characters as 'ß' and so on, and took care that
john.conf was encoded in iso-8859-1. But I got a segmentation fault when
running.

After some head scratching I tried defining the 8-bit characters as hex
instead, and this works. Is this requirement a bug or a known
limitation? A non-jumbo build shows the same limitation.

Another thing, the comment "This sample can be enhanced to infer the
rest of the indices here". What exactly is missing, and what would it
change? Are we not resuming correctly with current code?

magnum