Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:50:39 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: more info about syntax

2012/1/1 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 02:13:34PM -0500, Rich Rumble wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>> > I hope someone in the community will do that or something like it for
>> > -jumbo.  Completing/updating the wiki pages would be a good start.
>> >
>> > I am not personally planning to work on that for the very next release.
>> If no one else has started this already, I'll start with the wiki and then a
>> README type of file over the new year holiday. It's been one of my
>> "pet peeves" for a long time, and I'm as "guilty" as anyone for not adding
>> to the wiki. It's my new years resolution to contribute more to the FOSS
>> software I use.
>
> Thank you, Rich!
I have started this project, I thought I'd include the list before I got much
further to make sure the style I'm using was palatable for the community,
I think it's pretty simple, with examples I've tested. One small question
I've had in that testing, is about the GECOS field. Is this always after the
"fifth" colon, or will it vary from patch to patch in jumbo? I've tried adding
the plain-text passwords to my examples in that field whenever -single
was able to crack them; however it doesn't always do so when they are
included in the 5th field, and I've tried 3-7 as well.

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/hash-formats
-rich