Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:54:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OMP version not use all CPU

Hi Alain,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:39:17AM -0800, Alain Espinosa wrote:
> Hi. I have testing the OMP "John-1.7.9-j5" Windows version and seems
> to use only one CPU. I execute it with no special var and using SET
> OMP_NUM_THREADS=4 and either way john uses only one CPU.
>
> My hardware/system:
> Intel Core i3 M 370 at 2.40GHz
> 4GB DDR3-1067
> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

What hash type(s) are you testing on?  Of those you provided benchmarks
for here: http://hashsuite.openwall.net/performance only LM and MSCash
hashes include OpenMP parallelization in JtR currently, but NTLM don't.

Can you try the non-jumbo 1.7.9 as well (also john-omp.exe)?

Oh, and the speed you're reporting for LM hashes (25M c/s) is
surprisingly low for JtR 1.7.9 on a modern CPU.  As you can see, we have
higher speeds for 1.7.9 here: http://openwall.info/wiki/john/benchmarks

Alexander