Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 00:58:36 +0100
From: Per Thorsheim <per@...rsheim.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Minimum Password Length POO

Sorry if I'm way out of line here, posting this to john-users:

I've played a little game of "Create a normal sentence with minimum 4
words using the lowest number of unique letters - in any existing
language" on Twitter: @thorsheim

I guess nothing new really, but I'm really interested in once again
listening to the expertise of john-users on minimum password length
recommendations, based on crazy ideas off the new "Pile of Poo" Unicode
6.0 U+1F4A9 character.

Using the Dumb16 and Dumb32 modes, I'm curious about keyspace
calculations and configuration examples for john on how to do dictionary
+"common Unicode characters" attacks. Like using the U+2665 "Black Heart
Suit" character (Windows UTF-8 Times New Roman font, NO kb layout) to
separate "I" from "insert name of loved one here".

Blog post can be found here:
http://securitynirvana.blogspot.com/2012/02/minimum-password-length-poo.html

--
Best regards,