Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:27:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: wordlist rules (was: OpenMP progress report bug with multiple 1 thread instances)

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:51:06AM +0000, Alex Sicamiotis wrote:
> Yeah, john.log is increasing like crazy. I usually delete it after I start a session so that new data does not get appended to it. In this case I hadn't deleted it but sizes were small (<1 GB).

If you don't need the log, you may symlink it to /dev/null, or in jumbo
you may use the -nolog option.

> One question I have, is how do you put the [ or ] characters as possible candidates. It's the only symbols I'm having a problem with. The brackets seem to be used for range formatting in the .conf and thus you can't just enclose a bracket in the brackets (or can I?). For the last letter I have no problem because I can simply put a "[" as a line in the wordlist.

doc/RULES says:

There are some special characters in rules ("[" starts a preprocessor
character list, "-" marks a range inside the list, etc.)  You should
prefix them with a backslash ("\") if you want to put them inside a rule
without using their special meaning.

Alexander