Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:33:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: official JtR or jumbo for RAR?

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 01:06:43AM -0500, Chuck Kahn wrote:
> The FAQ doesn't provide detail on how to use "--format=rar" for jumbo JtR.

I've revised the FAQ to include this kind of info as one of the many
answers to the "Why doesn't John load my password file?" question:

http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/FAQ.shtml

A: John only loads properly formatted text files directly.  It can load
/etc/passwd and PWDUMP format files.  Starting with version 1.7.6, it
can also load text files containing one password hash per line (and
nothing else on that line).  Some other file formats are supported via
extra tools (supplied with John): unafs (Kerberos AFS database files),
undrop (Eggdrop IRC bot userfiles), ssh2john (OpenSSH private keys),
pdf2john (some password-protected PDF files), rar2john (some
password-protected RAR archives), zip2john (some password-protected
PKZIP and WinZip archives).  You need -jumbo for most of these.  To use
the proper one of these (for your file format), run it on your file(s)
and redirect the output to a new file (using your shell's output
redirection feature - e.g., "./ssh2john ~/.ssh/id_rsa > sshpasswd").
Then run John on the resulting file (e.g., "./john sshpasswd").

I made many other updates to the FAQ as well.

Alexander