Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 01:06:43 -0500
From: Chuck Kahn <chuck.kahn@...t-in-toronto.on.ca>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: official JtR or jumbo for RAR?

Which will work faster at cracking RAR passwords -- the official JtR or
jumbo?

With official, I'm testing this approach:

/usr/local/Cellar/john/1.7.8/bin/john --incremental:all -stdout  | while
> read pass;do
>   unrar t -p$"{pass}" -inul testabc.rar
>   if [ "$?" -eq 0 ];then
>     echo 'pass is ' ${pass}
>     exit 0
>   fi
> done

I see this work on a test 2-digit password, but takes longer for longer
passwords.

Using jumbo, which I hoped would be more straightforward in usage, I've
only gotten this far:

$ /usr/local/Cellar/john/john-1.7.9-jumbo-5/run/john --format=rar
> --incremental:all testabc.rar
> No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

The FAQ doesn't provide detail on how to use "--format=rar" for jumbo JtR.
 How do I proceed with jumbo and RAR?