Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 18:47:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: AMD X6 multicore issue

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 04:39:56PM +0200, Caesarmv wrote:
> I've recompiled version 1.7.9 with enabled OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2
> option and it works well with 6 cores.

Great.

> However there is two OpenMP options.
>
> Did I choose correct one (for amd x6 cpu)?
>
> # gcc with OpenMP
> #OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp
> *OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2*

The former is generic (not limited to x86), whereas the latter is
specific to x86 and is required for 32-bit builds on x86 (otherwise you
would not get parallelization of the bitslice DES code, the C source for
which uses SSE2 intrinsics).

Since you appear to be on an x86-64 system, these settings work the same
(-msse2 is implied for x86-64 anyway).

Thus, the short answer is: it does not matter.

Alexander