Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:17:37 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Does restore session parse the configuration file for changes

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:38:57AM -0500, Stephen Reese wrote:
> Does the same hold true if I want to update update the john.pot on
> another host? Do I even need to bother stopping the process or can
> entries be appended to the existing file while the process is running?

You may update john.pot between stopping a session and --restore'ing it.

You do need to stop and restore in order for the added entries to be
read and the corresponding cracked hashes excluded from further cracking.

john.pot is not re-read during cracking automatically, although this may
be a reasonable feature to add.

Alexander