Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 02:16:07 -0500
From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John with Radeon graphical card supports?

Hi Samuele

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Samuele Giovanni Tonon
<samu@...uxasylum.net> wrote:
> On 08/18/11 17:06, Richard Miles wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for delay in reply.
>>
>> If you allow me I want to do 2 suggestions for you consider on this development:
>>
>> - If doesn't exist, add support for multiple cards on the same
>> computer, for example, someone with 2 graphical cards could have an
>> enormous benefits instead of just one.
>
> i still have to take a deep look on how multiple cards work with opencl
> however bottleneck at the moment is not about COMPUTING power but
> transfer speed; for example between an 5770 and 6970 (both ati radeon)
> most of the speed gain is from dma transfer.

Interesting, I was not aware.

> Also when you say multiple cards are you referring to SLI (or crossfire)
> or just a "put different gpu on the same motherboard" and make them work ?

I was thinking in put different GPU cards on the same motherboard, I
don't know if it's the best way, but appear to work, please see the
link that I send on my previous e-mail on this thread. The guy created
a kind of home cluster with GPU that break passwords 60 times
faster...
He also told that Radeon are much better for cracking in comparison
with GeForce.

> Because for the first option looks like opencl is not ready enough
> (at least on ati) and for the second one something could be done
> "manually" with some coding (i'm thinking about nasty tricks with
> clGetDeviceIDs and some shell env variable) .

That's awesome.

>> - Consider add support for WPA/WPA2 handshake. While there is other
>> tools for this task they are not fast and powerful (such as rules
>> option) as John.
>
> meanwhile have you tried pyrit and make it work with john and -stdout ?
> consider that for wpa/wpa2 you'd have to modify rules section to
> discard everything less than 8 chars long.

Yes, I used pyrit and it's really nice, but it crash often with my
GeForce card. You know, there are a lot of other cracking tools such
as pyrit, Elcomsoft (very good one) and inside pro (I never used, but
people say it's good) but I really like JtR, so if I could use it I
will be happy.

Thanks