Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:20:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Some problems to build chr

Well, this is definitely becoming a FAQ. :-(  We can't bring the same
topic up every 3 days, can we?..  It's like the third time this week.
You guys will force me to release an enhanced version of this code at
some point. ;-)  Maybe I need to make an intermediate release, removing
just the 64-bit overflow limitation, but not moving to new incremental
mode yet (which would bring up .chr and .rec file compatibility issues
unless/until I introduce backwards-compatibility code as well).

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 08:45:33PM +0200, madfran wrote:
> # ./john --make-charset=lanman.chr
> Self test failed (pow64of32() overflow)

This means that you set the params.h settings too high, beyond what's
supported.  Please read the lengthy comment right before your edits.
Also, see this older posting for sample valid settings:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/07/04/6

Alexander