Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:11:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and .pot

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 04:40:45PM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  - I have a hashes list with UTF-8 format

Maybe, or maybe not for all of them.

>  - My terminal is UTF-8 configured
>  - params.h is configured for digits/symbols/accent (see below)
> #define CHARSET_MIN			'  '
> #define CHARSET_MAX			0xFF
> #define CHARSET_SIZE			(CHARSET_MAX - CHARSET_MIN + 1)
>

>  Sometimes hashes are cracked but letter/digits/accent plaintext is
> remplaced by a "symbol" (see picture below, the red symbol (question
> mark)).
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/capturedcran20110809163.png/
>
>  - Where the problem  come from ?

Chances are that those cracked passwords are not in fact valid UTF-8.
Maybe they're iso-8859-1.  JtR running in incremental mode has no idea
about UTF-8 - it merely tries sequences of octets, some of which happen
to be valid UTF-8 and some not.  As you can see, this actually works
well for you because some passwords are in fact not UTF-8.

Alexander