Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 16:47:08 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Plugin formats "released"

Solar, all,

I have just posted an alternate 1.7.8-jumbo-2 tarball to the wiki at
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches. This patch does not add or
remove *any* functionality to the compiled binary, but it converts most
jumbo formats to plugins. The resulting binary is almost exactly the
same as one produced with the official jumbo-2 (I believe they would
have got the same md5sum if it wasn't for the fact we collect the
plugins with a file glob, whereas the old order was hardcoded).

A plugin format can be released as a single file, called NAME_fmt_plug.c
and there is no need for patching john.c or Makefile. Just drop the file
in the src directory and recompile.

Likewise, if you get problems with a certain format (that gives you
build problems), just move the file to unused/ and recompile.

This is something I and JimF has worked on for a long time. Both of us
have used the current incarnation for months and we know of no problems
(eg. it works on Solaris). But there will possibly be some systems that
have problems with this Makefile. Please test on any odd system you have
access to, and report any problems (or success) here!

We hope this can be incorporated in a future official jumbo. We can
assure you that this quickly grows on you and it gets frustrating not
being able to just throw files in and out of the tree when developing :-)

I enclose the (rename-aware) git diff file below for reviewing what is
happening. Note that this diff can NOT be used with the standard patch
utility.

Enjoy!
magnum

View attachment "john-1.7.8-jumbo-2-plugin.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (15850 bytes)