Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:00:46 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: IPB2 and syntax - same question but still confuse

Jim - maybe you will reply to W.A.?  I might not be aware of some detail
regarding support for these hashes in different builds of -jumbo.  Most
likely, W.A. is just doing something incorrectly, because his test case just
works for me (on another system).  But it could also be something real.

W.A. -

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:52:53PM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  My hash is formatted as following : user
> md5_gen(12)6e8bb151fbed7cee93acf6b0288c79a7$r{)<|

I cannot tell from the above what character(s) you use to separate the
username from the hash.  You previously mentioned it was a TAB, but I am
not sure if that's actually the case.

> iMac-de-xxx-xx:run xxxxx$ mpirun -np 4 ./john64 -i:all test.txt
> -field-separator-char=" "

Similarly, it is not clear what character you actually put on the
command-line here.

Maybe try to use another character in both places and see if that helps?

> [iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:00284] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
> /usr/lib/openmpi/mca_ras_dash_host: perhaps a missing symbol, or
> compiled for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)

This is a result of you breaking your OpenMPI install (in a harmless but
annoying way, it seems) when you tried to follow magnum's advice about
upgrading OpenMPI.  I think magnum thought you'd merely install a
package or maybe make an OpenMPI install locally under a user account,
but apparently you made your own build and installed it globally
instead, resulting in a mix of OpenMPI versions. :-(

Anyhow, I think this is irrelevant to the problem at hand.

> using field sep char '	' (0x09)

OK, you really have a TAB here.  But I'm not sure about your input file.

>  If my memories are ok, detecting ipb2 hashes before version 1.7.7 was
> ok.

You may try an older version.  If you're able to show that one version
loads the file and the other doesn't, when invoked in exactly the same
way, we'll have something to look into.

Thanks,

Alexander