Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:51:57 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: openmpi 1.4.3 and JTR 1.7.7 error compiling

W.A. -

First, as a moderator of john-users, I have to complain about two things:

1. Your use of pastebin makes your postings nearly useless to have in
archives of the list - e.g., they won't be found when one searches for
keywords related to the problem (build error messages).  Going forward,
please spend a little bit of time to extract the most relevant error
messages and include those into your postings themselves, in addition to
possibly including the full info via an attached text file (if it's not
too large) or via a link to pastebin or to somewhere else (otherwise).
That is, your use of pastebin must not be a replacement to you including
the most relevant info right in your posting.

2. Whenever you have something to add to one of your previous messages,
even if that message did not yet make it through to the list, please
"reply" to your own message (one received through the list or one you
have in your sent messages folder).  That way, you'll keep the thread
instead of starting a new thread just for your addition/correction.

Now to the actual problem:

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 01:14:46PM +0200, spamivor@...il.com wrote:
>  I have successfully upgraded openmpi 1.2.8 to 1.4.3 (OS X).
> iMac-de-xxx-xx:openmpi-1.4.3 xxxxx$ mpirun -V
> mpirun (Open MPI) 1.4.3
>
>  I try to compile JTR 1.7.7 (SSE2 + 64), I get errors.
>
>  this is the compiling error log at  http://pastebin.com/5jvvXrVR

Here are the relevant lines:

iMac-de-xxx-xx:src xxxxx$ make clean macosx-x86-sse2
ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/lib/libmpi.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "_MPI_Init", referenced from:
      _mpi_setup in john-mpi.o

It appears that you built/installed MPI for x86_64 (64-bit), but then
you're making an i386 (32-bit) build of JtR.  This is why it fails to
link against the MPI libraries.

To get around this, you need to either build JtR with the macosx-x86-64
make target or build/install MPI for i386 (32-bit).

Disclaimer: the above is just my guess based on what I see in the build
log.  I am not familiar with this stuff.

magnum - just why did the older version of MPI that W.A. has been using
for a long time with older versions of JtR and the MPI patch suddenly
become inappropriate for the new version of JtR and/or for the new MPI
patch?  This was unexpected to me.  I think there's something wrong
about it.  Maybe there's a bug somewhere in the patch, which needs to be
fixed, and W.A. should continue using his version 1.2.8 of Open MPI?

Sorry, I did not bother looking at the pastebin stuff that W.A. has been
posting before; relevant excerpts posted to the list would have worked a
lot better for me.

Alexander