Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:16:35 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Questions about JtR

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 08:48:25PM -0500, Daniel Beard wrote:
> 1) Am I allowed to use parts from JtR in a seperate project (again, namely
> bitslice DES)?

Yes, but your "derived software" has to be placed under GPLv2.

If you'd like to use another license, you need to either negotiate that
with me (as the copyright holder) or reuse only those parts of the
source code that are readily available under less restrictive terms (for
bitslice DES, this means the DES S-box expression files - nonstd.c and
sboxes*.c - but not any other files).

> 2) Are the Windows binaries cross compiled from a Linux host?

No, they're normally compiled on Windows with Cygwin.  (With the jumbo
patch, they may also be compiled with MinGW - also natively on Windows.)

> 3) The "arch.h" file included in the DES source is that generated by gcc,
> make or something else?

The Makefile symlinks or copies one of the arch-specific files to that
name, or with "make generic" it actually invokes a program to generate
the file.

Alexander

P.S. You chose a non-informative message Subject.  Please try to do
better next time (if/when you start another thread). ;-)