Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:47:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GSoC student

Do you mean the application template? - http://openwall.info/wiki/apply

> Should I answer that and nothing else or it is only requirement points in my
> full proposal?

The application template gives you a suggested set of questions to
answer and lets us compare the different students' proposals easier.

Please include as much information (likely beyond filling out the
template) as you think we might need in order to decide whether to work
with you or not.  So far, you have not referred to any existing work of
yours "in this area" (GPU programming, C and assembly language
programming, password cracking, work with JtR code specifically), so
your chances of being accepted are very slim unless you write and show
some relevant code in the following couple of weeks (perhaps a GPU
implementation of one of the hashes, along with a patch for JtR adding
this as a new "format" or integrating it into an existing one).  This
does not guarantee that we'll work with you specifically (there are
other good candidates), but at least you will have a chance. :-)

See my response to Thomas:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2011/03/23/7

Good luck!

Alexander