Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:21:09 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Interface for John

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 02:03:10AM -0400, joseph varghese wrote:
> Now I've got some idea about the task and I've started learning wxWidgets in
> c++. I hope i could come up with a simple interface in a few days.

Sounds good.  Here are a few things to add:

I did a quick web search on possible existing widgets that would be
usable for approach #2 (integrated).  Here are some to consider, in
order of increasing complexity (as far as I could figure out in a few
minutes looking):

wxListCtrl (and simpler variants of it: wxListView, WxListBox)
wxGrid
wxSheet

http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/showcomp.php?name=wxSheet
http://old.nabble.com/wxSheet-and-wxGrid-survey-to3089675.html

As to the O(n^2) complexity, I think I need to explain.  We may have
O(n) complexity in our own code when we insert the many widgets and/or
data records into the container widget.  If the insert operation also
has O(n) complexity (perhaps because it traverses the list of already
inserted items), then this is where we get O(n^2).  Perhaps the
specialized widgets I mention above avoid this (by providing a bulk
insert interface or by referencing an "external" data structure that
we'll maintain ourselves, and/or by avoiding O(n) complexity algorithms
for simple operations), but we need to check.  These are just my guesses.

Alexander