Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:48:27 -0500
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Oracle Hash Crack - Possible Bug

On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:13 PM, Erik Winkler wrote:

> There is a crashing bug in the current oracle (Oracle10) hash cracking code (jumbo-12).  It occurred for me on both MacOSX and Windows versions of john.

Problem solved.  The bug was caused by the fact that the oracle uses the username as the salt.  If the length of the username exceeds the value #define SALT_SIZE, then either the password will never crack or john will crash.  In my test I actually had a 27 character oracle username.  Not sure how best to resolve this, but at least we know the issue.

Erik